Welcome to Wigginton Parish Council Website
Carols Around The Tree
The annual carols around the tree will be held on Monday Monday
12th December 2016 commencing at 6.45pm for 7pm.
We will again be joined by Wigginton Primary School choir, the children and parents from Wonder Years and be accompanied by Shepherds group Youth Brass Band.. It is also hoped that the event will again be recorded by Vale Radio.
Wigginton lies 5 miles north of the centre of the historic city of York. The village has no obvious visual boundaries to the east and north and is defined by a system of drains that run along the edge of Wigginton Moor. To the south the furthest most point is bounded by the York ring road and the western boundary with Haxby runs down from Broad Oak Farm down to Moor Lane, Westfield Lane, Kirkcroft to Green Dike Lane and then to the ring road.
Wigginton has a Primary School, a Health Centre, a dental practice, 2 churches, 2 public houses and a village shop. Public facilities include a church hall, village recreation hall, the old school and the Wigginton Sports and playing field Association which offers the opportunity to play squash, tennis, bowls, pentane, football and triathlon. There is also a safe play area, Church Fields, for younger children and to the west of the village newly planted woodland, millennium wood.
The village name derives from the Olde English pre-7th Century
personal name "Wicga", meaning "a beetle", plus the Olde English
suffix, "-tun", meaning a "settlement or enclosure, hence "Wigca's
settlement". The village was named in the Domesday Book and noted as
belonging to the cathedral church of St Peter in York. The name of
the village has been recorded as Wichestun in the 11th century and
Wygynton in the 13th century. The first recorded owners of the manor
were the Askebys, who may have been connected with the neighbouring
village of Haxby, and of Roger de Haxbey, who owned nearby land
during the reign of Edward I. Hugh de Moresby, Lord of Moresby in
Cumberland, was in possession of the manor of Wigginton in 1337.
Through inheritance and marriage the manor passed to Anne Pickering
and her second husband, Sir Henry Knyvett. She sold the manor with
others in 1541 to Henry VIII, but his heir, Edward VI, granted them
back to Anne and Henry in 1548.
The town sits on flat ground consisting mostly of clay with soil that is sand and alluvium. In the centre of the village is Westfield Beck. The nearby town of Haxby now merges with Wigginton though the old Parish Boundary map still shows the dividing line. This runs east to west along the back of the houses on Wheatfield Drive on its southern edge as far as Barley Drive. Here it turns northward cutting across Greenshaw Drive until it reaches the road known as The Village. The boundary follows this road until it turns west. The boundary at this point continues northward cutting across Windsor Drive near Ripley Grove and then out into the countryside.