History of Wigginton
The village name derives from the Olde English pre-7th Century personal name "Wicga", meaning "a beetle", plus the Olde English suffix, "-tun", meaning a "settlement or enclosure, hence "Wigca's settlement". The village was named in the Domesday Book and noted as beloning to the cathedral church of St Peter in York. The name of the village has been recorded as Wichestun in the 11th century and Wygynton in the 13th century. The first recorded owners of the manor were the Askebys, who may have been connected with the neighbouring village of Haxby, and of Roger de Haxbey, who owned nearby land during the reign of Edward I. Hugh de Moresby, Lord of Moresby in Cumberland, was in possession of the manor of Wigginton in 1337. Through inheritance and marriage the manor passed to Anne Pickering and her second husband, Sir Henry Knyvett. She sold the manor with others in 1541 to Henry VIII, but his heir, Edward VI, granted them back to Anne and Henry in 1548.
Wigginton was in the Vale of York parliamentary constituency until the 2010 general election when it was transferred to the newly created constituency of York Outer. In that election the Conservative Party candidate, Julian Sturdy, was elected having received 43% of the vote and a majority of 3,688 over the Liberal Democrat candidate. The town is located within the Haxby and Wigginton Ward of the York Unitary Authority. As of 2012 it is represented by Councillors Paul Firth and Ian Cuthbertson of the Liberal Democrat Party and Tony Richardson of the Conservative party. In 2012 Councillor Paul Firth was appointed City of Yorks Sheriff for the year and his wife the Sheriffs lady.
In 1872 the population was recorded as 349. In the National Census of 1881 the population had risen to 399. According to the 2001 census the parish had a population of 3,714.
The town sits on flat ground consisting mostly of clay with soil that is sand and alluvium. To the west of the village is Westfield Beck. The nearby town of Haxby now merges with Wigginton though the old Parish Boundary map still shows the dividing line. This runs east to west along the back of the houses on Wheatfield Drive on its southern edge as far as Barley Drive. Here it turns northward cutting across Greenshaw Drive until it reaches the road known The Village. The boundary follows this road until it turns west. The boundary at this point continues northward cutting across Windsor Drive near Ripley Grove and then out into the countryside.
Wigginton has expanded from a mainly agricultural origin to become mostly a commuter village for York. Wigginton has a number of companies, a garden centre, two farm shops, hairdressers and chiropodists, a nursing home, a village store, a web design company and three public houses. Also a small industrial estate on Sutton Road.
As of 2010 First transport group operate two bus servies in the village as part of the Chapelfields to Wigginton and the Acomb Park to Haxby routes. Transdev operate the Askham Bar to Monks Cross bus services which stops in the village. Reliance Motor Services operate a service that stops in the village as part of its York to Easingwold route.
Primary education is catered for at Wigginton Priamry School and is in the catchment area of Joseph Rowntree Secondary School.
The present parish church is dedicated to St Nicholas. The first specific mention of a church building was in 1424 and of a chapel at Wigginton in the middle of the 13th century. The present church of St Nicholas was rededicated in 2008 having previously been known as St Mary & St Nicholas. It had been rebuilt in 1860.
* Information supplied by Wikipedia